Each day criminals find new ways to steal personal information, like Social Security Numbers and Driver’s License Numbers and use them for illegal purposes. At Simsbury Bank substantial measures are in place to protect you and your identity from fraudulent activity. Our stringent bank privacy policies guard your personal and financial information with the highest security.
It is important to take some measures to avoid becoming an identity theft victim. Here are some things you can do to minimize your risk.
- Keep your personal numbers safe and secure. Guard your social security number. Do not carry your social security number in your wallet or write it on a check.
- Shred unused credit offers, convenience checks and other documents containing personal information before discarding them.
- Review bank and credit card statements for accuracy.
- Pay attention to your billing cycles. If your bills don’t arrive on time, check with your creditors.
- Switch from paper statements to electronic statements.
- Don’t give your personal information to people you do not know.
- Commit all passwords and Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) to memory. Do not give them to anyone.
- Keep track of credit card, debit card and ATM receipts.
For more information about identity theft, visit the Federal Trade Commission website.
Even with precautionary action, identity theft may occur. If you believe you are a victim of identity theft, take action immediately. Here are some suggestions:
- Contact us and speak to a customer service representative.
- Contact any other banks, credit card companies or other companies in which you have a financial relationship.
- Contact the major credit bureaus and request a fraud alert be placed on your file.
- File a report with your police department. Ask them for a copy of the report in case you need proof later of the crime.
- File a complaint with the FTC. They maintain a database of cases used by law enforcement agencies for investigation. You may contact them via their website or at 1.877.IDTHEFT (1.877.438.4338).